Serve this crunchy onion rings with your favorite low-fat dip as a healthy starter or
snack! Onions contain good amounts of vitamin C and chromium which helps cells
respond to insulin, ultimately assisting with blood glucose control.
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Yield: 12 servings
4 medium yellow onions
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
4 large eggs
1 1/2 cups whole wheat
low-carb breadcrumbs, fine dry
1 tablespoon seasoning blend, such as
Cajun, jerk or Old Bay
1. Position racks in upper and lower thirds of oven; preheat to 450 F (225 C). Coat 2
large rimmed baking sheets with cooking spray.
2. Cut off both ends of each onion and peel. Slice into 1/2-inch-thick slices; separate into
rings. Place the rings in a medium bowl; cover with cold water.
3. Combine flour and baking powder in a shallow dish. Lightly beat eggs in another
shallow dish. Combine breadcrumbs and seasoning in a third shallow dish.
4. Working with one ring at time, remove from the water, letting any excess drip off.
5. Coat in flour, shaking off any excess. Dip in egg and let any excess drip off. Then coat
in the breadcrumb mixture, shaking off any excess.
6. Place on the prepared baking sheets. Lightly coat the onion rings with cooking
7. Bake for 10 minutes. Turn each onion ring over and return to the oven, switching the
positions of the baking sheets. Continue baking until brown and very crispy, about 8
to 10 minutes more